Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Horse leading 101

Just had to share this with you all.  Hope you find it as amusing as I did (much later after it happened, of course).  Last night I decided to work on Gladys and Sienna's leading abilities as well as taking them into the acre pasture that we have for them.  So I found halters to fit.  I had planned on taking Gladys as she would be the more difficult to handle and Sienna isn't that bad.  But no, Jerry (bless him) had to take the mare.  <SIGH>

1.  Tell Jerry to shorten up on lead rope as Glad isn't used to being led.  Look over in time to see Glad lead Jerry about.  <sigh>

2. Tell him once again to get at her head and not give her so much lead rope.  Again Glad is leading Jerry.  <bigger sigh>

3. Come to bit of a wash that Jerry had put old carpet in to prevent it from eroding even further.  Tell Jerry to SHORTEN UP on the lead and take her over the carpeting.  See Glad vault over carpet with Jerry dragging behind holding onto the END of the lead.  <HUGE sigh>

4.  Get to good grassy spot and decide to let horses graze for a bit.  Once again mention that he really should be at her head and show ONCE again how I'm walking Sienna.... stood chatting and watch in absolute shock as Jerry pats Glad rather soundly on rump.  Watch Glad politely kick Jerry in the side of his knee.  Yes, he was once again standing BEHIND her holding the END of the lead rope.  So, I just stood there, asked if he was OK and reminded him that Glad is NOT DUSTY and cannot be treated as such.  <yet another HUGE sigh>

5. Head back and tell him NOT to give her four feet of lead rope....  rest of the walk I'm keeping Sienna ahead as I do NOT want to grind my teeth any further. 

Gotta love him for helping, but why couldn't he listen?  <sigh>

No comments:

Post a Comment