Last night Jonathan came to trim Glad & Sienna. We started with Sienna first. I must admit I have NOT been working with them to lift feet as much as I should have, but bless Jonathan, he is the quietest, most gentle farrier I believe I have ever used. He showed so much patience with Sienna. She wasn't sure about balancing on three legs, but with patience and perseverance, we got her trimmed and feet filed.
Gladys, did just great on her front feet, but her backs are a whole 'nother story. She kicks out when you try to pick up her back feet. I've no idea why she's doing this, but this is going to give me something to work on. I ran a whip over her rump and both legs... she kicked a bit and then stood still letting me run the whip up and down her legs.
Guess I have some work to do before Jonathan comes back to trim again. Their feet sure look better now.
We are also progressing with getting them to accept being sprayed with fly spray. Started off putting in on the brush and am now at the point where I brush them and just spray a bit right behind the brush stroke. They're getting more accepting of hearing the spray bottle. Soon we will introduce them to getting hosed off with cool water in this heat.
No comments:
Post a Comment