Tuesday, August 7, 2012

picking up feet

Decided that I really needed to work with Glad and Sienna last night with picking up their feet and allowing them to be handled before the farrier comes back out at the end of the month.  Started with Sienna first and she was an absolute star.  Minimal fuss, not terribly sure she liked having her legs stretched out in front of her, but she will get used to that eventually....  Of course knowing she gets an apple treat after each leg has been handled helps a lot.  :-) 

Glad really does not want to pick up her feet.  She really leans on the leg you're trying to lift, but she will eventually lift it.  She's much better with her front legs than she is her hind.  I managed, after a bit of her lifting and pulling her leg away, to get her to hold her foot up for me on both hind legs.  I was so relieved that we just did it the one time, patted her a lot, gave the treats and let her go.  She really is a good girl and wants to please.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment