Sunday I decided that it would be the day to give Sienna her first bath. She has numerous "bites" over both sides of her barrel. Not sure if it's fly bites or what, so I got out the shampoo and iodine for the water. Caught her up and had Jerry holding her. While I was fixing the bucket of water, shampoo and iodine, Jerry put the sprayer on the hose. Now, he is used to my own horses who delight at getting hit with the spray and stand still for it. I had to shake my head over that, but thought... I'd give it a try.
I didn't even turn the spray ON her and she bolted.... just like I thought she would. So, I turned off the water, took the sprayer off and turned the water on to a slow, small, stream of water. I took the brush, dipped it into the water in the bucket and quietly talked to her while I applied the soapy water to her sides and chest. She took it all in stride and was more than a little concerned when I place the hose near her side. I decided to try placing it up there while I was using the brush on her and she accepted that with good grace. Got her all bathed and rinsed off. Did not try to do her belly or the insides of her legs... figure we can do that another time.
I am very happy with her. She exhibits a lot of calm, intelligence and trust in her handlers. :-))
No comments:
Post a Comment